Frequently Purchased Together
Section 2C.42 Lane Ends Signs
- The LANE ENDS MERGE LEFT (RIGHT) (W9-2) sign or the Lane Ends (W4-2) sign should be used to warn of the reduction in the number of traffic lanes in the direction of travel on a multi-lane highway.
- A Merge sign may also be installed on the side of the entering roadway to warn road users on the entering roadway of the merge condition.
- The RIGHT (LEFT) LANE ENDS (W9-1) sign may be used in advance of the Lane Ends (W4-2) sign or the LANE ENDS MERGE LEFT (RIGHT) (W9-2) sign as additional warning or to emphasize that the traffic lane is ending and that a merging maneuver will be required.
- On one-way streets or on divided highways where the width of the median will permit, two Lane Ends signs may be placed facing approaching traffic, one on the right-hand side and the other on the left-hand side or median.
- Where an extra lane has been provided for slower moving traffic, a Lane Ends word sign or a Lane Ends (W4-2) symbol sign should be installed in advance of the downstream end of the extra lane.
- Lane Ends signs should not be installed in advance of the downstream end of an acceleration lane.
Source: 2009 MUTCD