Frequently Purchased Together
Section 2C.40 Merge Signs
- A Merge (W4-1) sign may be used to warn road users on the major roadway that merging movements might be encountered in advance of a point where lanes from two separate roadways converge as a single traffic lane and no turning conflict occurs.
- A Merge sign may also be installed on the side of the entering roadway to warn road users on the entering roadway of the merge condition.
- The Merge sign should be installed on the side of the major roadway where merging traffic will be encountered and in such a position as to not obstruct the road user's view of entering traffic.
- Where two roadways of approximately equal importance converge, a Merge sign should be placed on each roadway.
- The Merge sign should not be used where two roadways converge and merging movements are not required.
- The Merge sign should not be used in place of a Lane Ends sign (see Section 2C.42) where lanes of traffic moving on a single roadway must merge because of a reduction in the actual or usable pavement width.
Source: 2009 MUTCD