Frequently Asked Questions about MUTCD Stop Signs
1) What's the difference between the different levels of stop sign reflectivity?
2) What size stop sign do I need?
- 12 x 12" - This novelty size is ideal for decor and gifts
- 18 x 18" - These are great for shared-use paths and bicycle traffic control
- 24 x 24" - Ideal for private roadways and parking lots
- 30 x 30" - This is the minimum size required for official street stop sign applications
- 36 x 36" - This is the minimum size required for hazardous intersections and stops with multi-lane approaches
3) How high do I need to mount my stop sign?
*Most Common Application
- In business, commercial, or residential areas (Fig. A)
- the short answer is that stop signs must be mounted 7 feet above the sidewalk, curb, or edge that it's mounted on. The full MUTCD specification is: the minimum height, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the top of the curb, or in the absence of curb, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the elevation of the near edge of the traveled way, of signs installed at the side of the road where the view of the sign might be obstructed, shall be 7 feet.
Signs installed above sidewalks: The minimum height, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the sidewalk, shall be 7 feet.
- In rural areas (Fig. B)
- The minimum height is 5 feet, measured vertically from the bottom of the sign to the elevation of the near edge of the pavement.
- Overhead signs (Fig. C)
- There must be a vertical clearance of no less than 17 feet to the sign, sign bridge, or light fixture over the entire width of the pavement and shoulders except where the structure on which the overhead signs are to be mounted or other structures along the roadway near the sign have a lesser vertical clearance.
TrafficSign.com does not recommend or specify the use of a specific safety sign because it does not have knowledge of the hazard(s) our customers are identifying. It is the customer’s sole responsibility to identify the hazard(s) that may be present and select one or more signs (stock or custom) that accurately identify their specific hazard(s) and complies with any applicable federal, state or local laws or regulations, any worksite specific rules or regulations and/or any applicable safety standards (including, without limitation, MUTCD standards). TrafficSign.com disclaims any and all liability (excluding liability for our Product Warranty contained in our Terms and Conditions) for any sign selected by a customer and shall not be responsible for any personal injury or property damage resulting from the use of signs purchased from it or for the independent interpretation made of any applicable federal, state or local laws or regulations, any worksite specific rules or regulations, and/or any applicable safety standards (including, without limitation, MUTCD standards). Customer shall indemnify and hold TrafficSign.com and its corporate parent and its officers, directors, and affiliates harmless from and against any and all claims, loss, or expense (including attorneys’ fees) arising from or related to the purchase and use by customer or any third party of any sign purchased by customer from TrafficSign.com